Generic medicines are cost effective, but consumers are susceptible to doubt the quality of the medicines keeping in mind that they may cost unto 80% less than the branded variants. DavaIndia asked us to address this concern effectively
A digital campaign built around an honest Brand Promise that high quality medicines need not be high priced
Every brand exists for a reason. Just like every human being must find her drive, it is imperative for a brand to find what makes its existence meaningful for the consumer. This is what ‘Brand Promise’ is all about. As important as it is for a brand to find that one pivotal promise, it is equally necessary to articulate the promise in the most impactful manner.
DavaIndia, one of India’s fastest growing Generic Pharmacy Chain engaged MangoData to establish this important pillar of brand communication and launch a campaign around it. So, we sat with them to understand the philosophy and ideology behind their brand. Once we were in sync with the brand values, research came to fore; Industry Specific and User Centred.
DavaIndia, one of India’s fastest growing Generic Pharmacy Chain engaged MangoData to establish this important pillar of brand communication and launch a campaign around it. So, we sat with them to understand the philosophy and ideology behind their brand. Once we were in sync with the brand values, research came to fore; Industry Specific and User Centred. “Let’s find what the user needs, what the industry offers and what user pain points can we address”
- The industry lacks transparency when it comes to pricing and doesn’t inspire trust amongst the consumers
- Consumers need fairly priced, high quality medicines
- While general perception is that branded medicines are high in quality, consumers also firmly believe that established pharma brands are minting ridiculous amounts of money at the cost of their basic need to treat illness, regain health and stay healthy
- Generic medicines are seen as a welcome alternative when it comes to pricing but there is little awareness as to how safe & effective these medicines are
We decided to give DavaIndia a Brand Promise that addressed the biggest concern perceived by the consumers - Lack of Honesty & Transparency. Negating the preconceived notion that ‘High quality medicines have to be High priced’. That said, our challenge was also to keep the brand promise very relatable, simple yet impactful. So we came up with a Hindi positioning line:
Simple, easy to remember, in context. Besides, the line also said everything which the brand stood for:
- Honest Pricing
- Honest Quality Control
- Honest Concern for a patient’s health
- Honest commitment to making India healthy.
Building upon the promise: Once the brand promise was agreed upon, a whole universe of communication was created around the same. The main themes of the communication were as follows:
- Awareness about the concept of Generic medicines
- Myth busting to quell people’s suspicions about generic
- Highlighting DavaIndia’s commitment to affordable healthcare
- Promoting the widest range of generic medicines available at a store
- Lead generation to accelerate franchise purchases of DavaIndia
This observation became the foundation to define our approach, an answer to our design challenge. The outcome was a blend of contrasts, a smooth juxtaposition: White and Black, Black and white with complementing design elements.